I’ve been working for awhile on a way to connect people in a more meaningful manner than via Facebook–under the umbrella of the name Kliq. One thing I’m playing around with is short videos on a focused question–meaningful or irreverent but something that gives more of a connection than static text and a few pictures about your latest vacation while still maintaining spontaneity and short form. Some examples are interspersed throughout this post.
As an experiment I’m writing each of my 661 Facebook friends, individually checking their profile first, asking them a question. It’s a fantastic experiment. First I’m seeing a lot of updates and information that was previously being filtered out. A friend from college lives nearby in Germany; a friend from high school has recently had a baby. Secondly I’m seeing the vast mix of friends, many of whom I added in college back when Facebook was more for networking with people in your classes than your life in general. Many I’ve lost touch with but are doing great things, and I have fond memories of them.
I’m very much looking forward to eventual success in my experiments and the initial response has been a lot of fun.
Here are a few questions:
- “If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?”
- “If you had to get a face tattoo what would it be?”
- “What kind of cult would you lead if you had to lead a cult?”
- “Would you rather know a little about many things, or a lot about one, and one thing, only?”
- “If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?”
- “If you could have one new piece of technology from the next 50 years today what would it be?”
- “Would the world be a better place if it were run by women?”
- “Jersey Shore or Keeping up with the Kardashians?”
- “What’s something that’s been intriguing you lately?”
- “Are there any questions you shouldn’t ask?”
- “Poetry, novels, comic books, or non fiction?”
Want to participate? Or just want to do me a huge favor? Here’s how:
- Send a 20-40 second video
- answering one of the above questions
- to email@example.com, @kliqin on twitter, www.facebook.com/kliqin, or even post here
- don’t spend more than 3 minutes on the whole process Feel free to suggest questions below.
I promise I’ll answer, via video, any questions in return of a similar style. Also, I’ll always ask permission before I post any online.